The Most Important Questions to Ask a Divorce Attorney
By Daniel H Moss, Attorney
Selecting a divorce attorney can seem intimidating, overwhelming or even confusing. Preparing yourself before your initial consultation can not only help alleviate these feelings, but can assist you in reviewing and determining which divorce attorney is right for you. The following questions are suggested:
Questions To Ask Your Divorce Attorney
- How do you work with clients and what is your overall style or method to handling divorce?
- Will you be handling my case yourself? Or will another attorney in your office handle it? If another attorney, ask to speak to that person directly.
- How much experience do you have handling divorces like mine?
- Can you give me an overview of the steps we’ll need to take to proceed with my divorce?
- How long will the divorce process take?
- Do you have any concerns that might impact the outcome of my divorce?
- Can you provide information about mediation and what recommendations you might have for it?
- What kind of settlement do you think I will get?
- What can we do to make the process as smooth as possible?
- What information will you need to get started and what information do I need to obtain about our finances and assets?
- How should I go about trying to get custody of my children?
- Will I need to go to trial?
- What are your fees and how do you charge? Is there a retainer fee or initial consultation fee?
You should add to this list any questions that are specific to your situation before you start your initial consultation. If you have a list of potential divorce attorneys, make copies of these questions to have on hand for each attorney. Write down the answers you receive from each call so that you can review later and decide which divorce attorney you want to work with.
Once you’ve selected a divorce attorney, be sure to prepare before meeting with him or her.
Review my article, 5 Tips for Preparing to Meet Your Divorce Lawyer for more information.
If you have questions or are looking for advice about your specific situation, please contact me directly at 248.855.5656 or [email protected].